How to Enroll in the Basic Skills Program
Roanoke-Chowan Community College Basic Skills program operates on a fall and spring semester and a short summer session. Orientation sessions are held once a month with morning, afternoon, and evening scheduled times. The Basic Skills Program registration is an open registration throughout the year. Each student who has completed Orientation will register for the current semester, and register for classes at the beginning of each semester to follow.
New Student Orientation
- Schedule an appointment by contacting the Basic Skills Department or the Basic Skills Assessment Coordinator at 862-1258.
- Sign up for the Basic Skills Orientation (click on highlighted words for the schedule) which is offered once a month at 9:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., or 5:30 p.m.
- Attend the four sessions which provide an introduction to the Basic Skills Program; completion of registration forms, review guidelines and policies; completion of placement tests; and preparation for class by assessing personal learning style and level of motivation.
- Select a class (click on highlighted words for the class sites/days/times) site to attend and schedule an appointment date to report to class.
- Report to the Basic Skills class site according to your scheduled appointment time to begin the first day of class.
- Go to class site according to your scheduled appointment.
- Complete class registration which includes reviewing of placement scores, setting goals, and signing registration forms.
- Complete a class schedule for dates and hours of attendance (if applicable).
- Attend class according to your semester schedule or whenever the class meets.
- Once your instructor submits your registration forms to the Basic Skills Office, your instructor will notify you to pay a $5.00 fee to the Business Office (required for on-campus students, optional for off-campus students). You will need to take receipt and proceed to Student Services for a student ID card to be issued. You must present your receipt from the Business Office to the Student Services representative before your ID card will be issued.
*** If students are re-entering the program after an absence, they need to contact the Basic Skills Assessment/Retention Specialist at 862-1258 to determine if reassessment testing is needed prior to registering for class.
Basic Skills Student Activity Fee
Students enrolled in Basic Skills classes may participate in on-campus student activities provided they pay a small annual student activity fee. Upon payment of the fee, students will be issued a student card valid for one year from the date of payment.