Congratulations Erika Brabble and Heather Rutz!!

R-CCC’s Students of the Month – December 2013

The Office of Student Development Services is pleased to announce Erika Brabble and Heather Rutz as the students of the month for December. Erika and Heather are pursuing an Associate Degree in Nursing and were recommended by Ms. Michelle Warren, ADN Director. Both students are academic achievers and serve in leadership roles with the ADN clubs.

Erika Brabble is a   second level nursing student and a prospective May 2014 graduate. The program director had the following to say about her, “Erika demonstrates a strong desire to learn and has an internal drive to succeed. She is dependable and willingly offers assistance to others.” When asked a few questions, Erika provided the following responses:

1. Why did you decide to pursue a degree at Roanoke-Chowan Community College? After getting married and having children, it quickly became obvious what impact higher levels of education can have on your future. I wanted to get a college degree to not only expand my career horizons but to also be a positive role model by showing my children that hard work and dedication pays off.

2. What do you enjoy most about being a student at R-CCC? I enjoy the opportunity to challenge myself that being a student at R-CCC gives me. Every day there is something new to learn or achieve and I have enjoyed setting and accomplishing those goals for myself. I also love the size and atmosphere of R-CCC. I enjoy interacting with fellow students and building relationships with instructors.

3. How has R-CCC helped you to reach your educational goals? The faculty and staff have been extremely helpful with whatever assistance I’ve needed and have always gone the extra mile to make sure that I am getting the most out of my experience at R-CCC. The resources offered at the community college such as our skills lab and library have given me access to the materials needed while working on my degree.

4. What are your plans beyond graduation? After graduating in May, I plan to continue my education to attain a BSN degree and ultimately a Master of Science in nursing. I’m hoping to work in the nursing field while taking classes toward those degrees.

Heather Rutz is a first level nursing student. “Heather is well-rounded, excels in clinical and demonstrates a desire to learn. She displays maturity and self-discipline in the learning endeavor, as stated by Mrs. Warren.” Heather shared the following responses to these questions:

1. Why did you decide to pursue a degree at Roanoke-Chowan Community College? When I was researching local nursing programs, I was impressed with R-CCC’s NCLEX pass rate. R-CCC is convenient and affordable as well.

2. What do you enjoy most about being a student at R-CCC? I enjoy the small class sizes and ability to have one on one interaction with the instructors. I enjoy the sense of community and family the nursing program has. I feel the instructors are invested in my success.

3. How has R-CCC helped you to reach your educational goals? I am completing my first successful semester of the nursing program. I am nervous and excited for the semesters to come.

4. What are your plans beyond graduation? I hope to get a nursing job in the community. I am unsure of what specialty I would like to pursue. I also hope to continue on with my education and earn my BSN.