State Authorization

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010.

Roanoke-Chowan Community College is authorized to offer distance learning courses to students throughout the country through participation in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity initiative.

The Student Grievance Contact Information for Individual States provides phone numbers, emails and/or links to state education agencies.

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

NC-SARA State Portal Entities

Professional Licensing Board Disclaimer and Contacts (License/Licensure  Information)- Students should contact the College to discuss enrollment and professional licensure options.

Cosmetology & Barbering: Shannon Harrell

109 Community College Road, Ahoskie, NC 27910,

Phone: 252-862-1213


Nursing: Dr. Michelle Warren

109 Community College Road, Ahoskie, NC 27910,

Phone: 252-862-1327


R-CCC Student Grievance Procedure

Dean J. Darius Greene
Dean of Student Services

Dr. Adriane Leche
Dean of Academic Affairs

Student Formal Complaint Form

Mailing Address
109 Community College Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s grievance procedures, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints 
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
(919) 962-1000

Roanoke-Chowan Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

Contact SACSCOC:
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033
(404) 679-4500

If a student has evidence of an institution’s significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form. As well as review complaint procedures.
For more information on the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina, visit SARA North Carolina’s site (, complaint process, and complaint form. A complaint may be filed with SARA-North Carolina as well.

Terrence R. Scarborough, M.P.A.
Director of SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
(855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
(919) 549-8614, ext.4667