Roanoke-Chowan Community College




Welcome to Roanoke-Chowan Community College Office of Admissions. If you are thinking of becoming a student at R-CCC  – either to begin or to continue your education – you’ll find all the information you need on this page.

  1. Apply Online:  New students and returning students who have not enrolled at the College within the prior two years should submit an official Roanoke-Chowan Community College application online.  Hard copies may be received in the Admissions Office. Continuing students do not need to re-apply.
  1. Apply for Financial Aid:  Students planning to apply for financial aid, should do so as soon as possible; you do not have to be admitted as a student to start this process. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at  R-CCC’s FAFSA school code is 008613 and is required when completing the application.  For more information, visit the Financial Aid page.
  1. Provide Official Transcripts: Submit official high school transcript, GED scores to Admissions immediately after applying to the college.   Transfer students must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.  The transcript request form is available online or in the Admissions Office. Submitting official transcripts is a mandatory requirement to receive Financial Aid and for admissions to a curricular program.  Students are allowed through the end of their first semester to submit transcripts, after which a registration block is placed on their record.  All official documents, such as transcripts from other colleges, become the property of R-CCC and cannot be returned or reissued.GED Transcript Request
    HS/College Request Form

Note: Facsimile transcripts may be used to register for courses; however, official transcripts must be on file in Student Development Services before registering for another term.  Faxed copies are not considered official transcripts.

  1. Assessment/Placement Testing: Applicants should call Student Services at (252) 862-1225 to determine if placement testing is necessary. Admissions staff can answer questions about the possibility of waiving the placement test if students have previous college credits or other circumstances including high SAT or ACT scores.The COMPASS placement test is required for all associate degree programs and most diploma degree programs.  These tests are used to place the student in courses and programs which match their abilities, education, and experience. Tests are not used for admission to the college. Students should review the sample COMPASS questions before taking the test. If test results indicate less than the established minimum scores, students are required to complete prerequisite developmental courses. Academic advisors will interpret the scores and explain how they may affect the courses students will be required to take.For information about assessment tests and to schedule an appointment, visit the Testing Services website. All testing is conducted in Room 220 of the Student Services Center.
  1. Complete Your Counselor Interview: Students have the opportunity to meet an admission counselor to discuss placement test results, curriculum programs, academic advising, and educational goals.
  1. Register for Classes: R-CCC class registration is available to newly admitted, currently enrolled, and returning students.  It is important to keep in mind the academic calendar, especially key dates & deadlines related to registering for classes, as well as drop/add and withdrawal deadlines for your classes.
    How to Register

    Review class schedules to find out what classes are being offered in the upcoming semester. Speak with an academic advisor if you have questions about choosing classes.

  1. Pay Tuition and Fees: Tuition bills are sent out in early July (with payment due early August) for the Fall semester and in mid-November (with payment due mid-December) for the Spring semester. Take care of all financial aid (grants, loans, and scholarships) well in advance of your payment deadline.Tuition payments may be made by check, cash, or credit card to the Cashier’s Office (Jernigan Building, Room 200; 252-862-1214), either by mail, in person, or phone.  A Tuition Installment Plan may be set up on eCashier. Students will be dropped from their classes if payment is not made by the published due dates.
  1. Attend classes and make the most of your time as a student: Students should take full advantage of all that R-CCC has to offer in classes, programs, and services.

Students applying to R-CCC may also be asked to complete a separate residency status application if deemed necessary by college officials.


Roanoke-Chowan Community College (R-CCC) operates under the open-door admissions policy established in the North Carolina General Statute 115.D. Any high school graduate or non-graduate who is 18 years of age or older and can benefit by pursuing further education may be admitted to the College, provided application is made and the admission process is complete. Programs are available to allow current high school students to take curriculum classes at the College.

The college reserves the right to place students by selective assessment.

A high school diploma or a high school diploma equivalency certificate (GED) is required for degree-granting programs and degree courses, as well as certain diploma and certificate programs.  Non-high school graduates who are at least 18 years of age may be allowed to enter certain diploma and certificate programs or courses; however, they are ineligible for federal financial aid.

Admission of Undocumented Immigrants

In accordance with amended regulation prescribed in the North Carolina Code, Title 23, Section 2C.0301, Admission to Colleges, undocumented immigrants may enroll as outlined below.

An undocumented immigrant, any immigrant who is not lawfully present in the United States, must have attended or graduated from a United States high school, private high school or home school that operates in compliance with State or local law. An undocumented immigrant with a diploma from an Adult High School located in the United States that operates in compliance with State or local law is also eligible to be admitted. All undocumented immigrants must be admitted as an out of state student for tuition purposes whether or not they reside in North Carolina. Undocumented immigrant students are not eligible for federal aid. Students lawfully present in the United States shall have priority over any undocumented immigrant in any class or program of study when capacity limitations exist.

To view general admissions requirements based upon your current status, click on the appropriate link to the left.

Stop by our office in New Student Center, Suite 111 or call one of the staff listed below if you have questions along the way.

Admissions Contact

Ms. Amy Wiggins
Director of Admissions/Student Advisement
(252) 862-1225 Phone

Wendy Vann
Dean of Students
(252) 862-1234