FERPA and Student Records

Print this Page

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)


Dear Student:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records.   These rights include:

1.     The right to inspect and review your education record within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the College official that maintains the record to make appropriate arrangements. You should
submit a written request that identifies the record(s) you wish to inspect.  The custodian of the records will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

2.     The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the College official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. That office will notify you of their decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.

3.     The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with “legitimate educational interests.” A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official has “need to know” information from your education record in order to fulfill his or her official responsibilities. Examples of people who may have access, depending on their official duties, and only within the context of those duties, include: college faculty and staff, agents of the institution, students employed by the institution or who serve on official institutional committees, and
representatives of agencies under contract with the College.

4.     The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Release of student record information is generally not done at Roanoke-Chowan Community College without the expressed, written consent of the student. There are,
however, some exceptions.

For example, directory information includes the following, and may be released
without the student’s consent: name, address, telephone number, email address,
date and place of birth, major field of study,  status (including current enrollment, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time, withdrawn), honors received (e.g., Dean’s List
recognition), degrees earned, previous educational institutions attended, designation
of school/college including level in school, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams. Please note that you have the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, you must complete a “Request for Non-Disclosure of Directory Information” form, which is available from the Office of the Registrar. Please note two important details regarding placing a “Non-Disclosure” on your record:

1.     The College receives many inquiries for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution including prospective employers, the news media, and honor societies. Having a “Non-Disclosure” on your record will preclude release of such information, even to those people.

2.     A “Non-Disclosure” applies to all elements of directory information on your record. The College does not apply a “Non-Disclosure” differentially to the various directory
information data elements.

The College may also release information from the student’s record without the
written consent of the student to other departments or educational agencies who
have a legitimate educational interest in the information, including persons or
companies with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent, or The National Student Clearinghouse).

Questions concerning FERPA should be referred to the Dean of Student Services or the
Office of the Registrar.



Available forms are listed here.

 FERPA Release Form

Parental Affidavit