Financial Aid Basics

Print this Page

To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants based on financial need. You must apply for admissions to Roanoke Chowan Community College before the college can review your FAFSA information. Review eligibility requirements for further information about qualifying for aid. Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA application as early as possible and utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to access tax return information.

Eligibility for Financial Aid
All students applying for and receiving financial aid at R-CCC must meet the following guidelines:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund to any federal financial aid program at any institution.
  • Not have received a conviction for any offense, during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal financial aid, under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs.
  • Register with the U.S. Selective Service if required to do so.
  • Be accepted for admission and admitted into an eligible degree-seeking program at R-CCC.
  • Be enrolled at least for each semester you wish to be considered for financial aid.
  • Be enrolled in courses that fulfill your degree’s requirements.
  • Submit additional documents or information as requested by the Student Financial Services department.
  • Maintain all Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements each academic term.
  • Certify that federal student aid awards will be used only for educational purposes.

Filing You FAFSA

R-CCC advises students to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) within 3–4 weeks of filing your federal tax return. This will allow students to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. State grants are awarded on a first-come-first-served basis, so filing as soon as possible will help maximize the amount of aid you receive.

Step 1: Request a FSA ID from the U.S. Department of Education – If you are a dependent student, one of the parents whose information you will provide on the (FAFSA) also needs to create a FSA ID.

Step 2: Gather the following documents to complete the FAFSA. (Include parent and student information if you are a dependent.)

  • Federal Income Tax Form and, if applicable, Schedule C, E and F.
  • W2’s.
  • Student’s driver’s license number.
  • Current cash, savings and checking account balances. Current investment values (stocks, bond, mutual funds, CDs, etc.) excluding retirement accounts.
  • Child support (paid and/or received).
  • Untaxed income such as; ADC/TANF, Welfare benefits, Social security, Workman’s compensation, etc.
  • Veteran’s benefits or housing and living allowances for military and clergy.

Step 3: Complete your FAFSA
Complete your FAFSA online. Students who applied for aid last year may be able to complete a Renewal FAFSA application online. The federal school code for R-CCC is 008613.  If you are having problems filling out your FAFSA, check out EducationQuest, a free college planning services.

Step 4: Additional Information.
You will be notified via mail by the Financial Aid Office if additional information or documents are needed. Provide the requested information as soon as possible.  Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested information or documents are received and processed by the Financial Aid Office.

Student Aid Report (SAR)
After filing your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) listing all the information you provided in the online application. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be included in the SAR. R-CCC then calculates your estimated Cost of Attendance (COA). Your EFC is subtracted from your COA to determine your eligibility for need-based aid. Review your SAR for accuracy and make any necessary corrections online.
Contact the U.S. Department of Education if you do not receive your SAR or have questions regarding your SAR.  If your family’s financial situation changes after you submit your FAFSA, you may request a review of your eligibility by contacting the Financial Aid Office to walk you through the process of filing a “special circumstance” review.

Managing Your Financial Aid
If you are selected for financial aid verification, you will receive a letter from the Financial Aid Office notifying you of any additional items you may need to submit.  Forms needed to complete your file can be found here. Promptly complete any outstanding forms, documents and missing information, as financial aid processing can only continue once you have submitted all requested information and materials.  The Financial Aid Office will notify you via mail as soon as you’ve been awarded financial aid.  This information can also be viewed on WebAdvisor, where you will be able to:

  • View your financial aid awards.
  • Check the status of your financial aid.
  • View a list of documents we’ve received from you and a list of the documents still outstanding.

We encourage you to monitor your financial aid profile regularly, as new requests for items may arise throughout the year. If you have questions related to the completion of any requested item, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Enrollment Status Requirements
To receive most financial awards, you must be enrolled at least half-time. Some financial aid awards are prorated based on your enrollment status.

Enrollment Status Semesters Credit Hours
Full-Time Fall, Spring, Summer 12 or more per semester
Three-Quarter Time Fall, Spring, Summer 9-11 per semester
Half-Time Fall, Spring, Summer 6-8 per semester
Less Than Half Time Fall, Spring, Summer 1-5 per semester

Receiving Your Financial Aid
The amount that is disbursed is determined by the number of credit hours you are enrolled in at the time of disbursement. If your financial aid file is complete, your available financial aid will be credited to your R-CCC tuition, fees, and other charges a few days before the start of each semester, or as soon as your file is complete after the semester has begun.  What’s left of your entitlement will be disbursed to you by check.  Please be mindful that state grants are not offered during the Summer semesters.

Remaining Funds
Excess funds constitute the amount of aid that is left after tuition, fees, and other charges have been deducted. R-CCC will mail a refund check to the address you have on record with the Admission’s Office starting the first week of the semester.  If a balance remains after financial aid is received, you are responsible to pay the outstanding balance by the tuition payment date. Contact the Business Office for information about payment plans or click

Repayment of Financial Aid
If at any point you withdraw from your courses at R-CCC, you may be required to return/repay a certain percentage of federal financial aid that was or could have been disbursed. The amount of repayment required is based on formulas mandated by the Federal government. Federal funds that may have to be returned, in order of their required return, are Federal Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG).

Financial Aid Links & Resources

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – Website for applying for financial aid.

US Department of Education’s Student Guide to Financial Aid – Website for all things financial aid.

The Financial Aid Information Page – Website for all things financial aid.

CashCourse – Financial Literacy website that help students make smart financial decision now and in the future.

FAFSA4Caster – Increase your knowledge of the financial aid process, get an early estimate of your federal aid eligibility, get information about other sources of aid, and more


Reminder:  Students must apply for financial aid every year!