Student’s Rights and Responsibilities
As a student, you have the right to know:
- What financial aid programs are available and how to apply for them;
- Procedures and deadlines for submitting applications for financial aid programs;
- The Financial Aid Cost of Attendance Budget and how financial need is determined;
- The type and amount of assistance you will receive;
- How and when your financial aid assistance will be disbursed;
- All application information is treated with the highest level of confidentiality;
- The eligibility criteria for awarding financial aid;
- How the standard of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress is determined;
- Requirements in the case of withdrawal, refunds, and repayment of financial aid; and
- You have the right to ask for an appeal/Professional Judgment and for your financial aid file to be reviewed upon your request if family and/or financial circumstances have changed.
As a student, you have the responsibility to:
- Establish plans to meet your educational and living expenses;
- Submit all forms/documents required to complete the application process in a timely and accurate manner;
- Read, understand, and retain copies of all information and/or forms that are sent to you and all other documents you sign;
- Comply with the provisions of any financial aid received, as well as any promissory note(s) and all other agreements you sign;
- Notify R-CCC of any and all resources you receive that are not listed on your financial aid award letter;
- Keep R-CCC informed of any change of address, name, and/or marital status while you are a student, and until all loans have been repaid in full;
- Use financial aid only for educational expenses related to attending R-CCC;
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress;
- Register and attend classes required in your major and for the number of hours required for your financial aid disbursement; and
- Perform satisfactorily in any work assignments accepted through student employment programs at R-CCC.
- Apply for financial aid assistance early. The FAFSA is available every January 1 to complete.
- You must complete the FAFSA every year.
- DO NOT ignore deadlines – this will delay your financial aid.
- Respond to all requests by R-CCC in a prompt manner.
- Register for classes that are required in your major.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office prior to changing your major, dropping a class, and/or withdrawing from the college.