Transfer from R-CCC

Print this Page


Make a transfer plan

A successful transfer involves careful planning and takes time to develop. Any student wishing to transfer college credits to other institutions should begin appropriate planning during the first semester at Roanoke-Chowan Community College.

Research colleges

When choosing the right college to attend, consider factors that influence your choice such as:

  • transfer of credits
  • degree programs and majors offered
  • location
  • tuition costs
  • financial aid
  • application deadlines
  • campus culture
  • student population
  • extracurricular activities
  • housing options
  • campus jobs
Narrow down your search
  • Arrange for campus visits to your top choices. Take a campus tour, meet with representatives from admissions and financial aid, schedule an appointment with an academic adviser in your major and learn about student life. Explore the town.
  • Check out housing opportunities both on and off campus. Contact the housing department or check the college’s housing department Web page for information. Rental apartments and houses are off-campus options.
  •  Many schools offer orientation specifically for transfer students. Orientation includes an opportunity to visit with advisors, enroll in classes and learn about campus life.
Apply for Admissions
  • Begin the admission process as early as a year in advance of transfer by submitting an application along with the application fee to your transfer school. Several schools have online admissions applications.
  • Be aware of admission application deadlines as they may vary by institution. Some majors or professional schools may require an additional application process. Become familiar with those processes and deadlines.
  • Request official R-CCC transcripts to be sent to the transfer school(s) at the time of application. During your final semester at R-CCC, request an additional transcript be sent after grades are posted. Contact all colleges you have attended to request transcripts be sent directly to the transfer school.
Seek financial aid and scholarships
  • Begin the application process for financial aid and scholarships early. Electronically submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the appropriate deadline. Be aware the financial aid process takes considerable time from filing the FAFSA to receiving your award letter. Start the process early.
  • Research scholarship opportunities and the application process. Some scholarships may be automatically awarded based on information from the application for admission. Others require a separate application and need documentation of service or activities and letters of recommendation.
Read your mail
  • Correspondence sent to you from your transfer school will include important information in making a successful transition.
Transferring to Four Year University in NC

Students interested in transferring to a four-year institution in North Carolina should refer to the Web site of the college/university for transfer information then contact their Academic Advisor.

After completing an Associate’s Degree at Roanoke-Chowan Community College, many students transfer to a four-year institution to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in their chosen field of study. It is important for students to be aware of the transfer process to ensure a smooth transition from Roanoke-Chowan to another institution.

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement between the North Carolina Community College System and the University of North Carolina System. There are also 24 private colleges and universities that endorse the CAA. The CAA ensures that up to 64 community college credits transfer to the participating colleges and universities.

Students may view the courses approved for transfer in the R-CCC Catalog.

The CAA includes two college transfer programs: the Associate in Arts (AA) degree and the Associate in Science (AS) degree.

For more detailed information about the CAA visit the following sites:

 College Transfer Programs

AA or AS – Which one should I choose?

Associate in Art

This degree program provides a general education for students who wish to continue their studies at a four-year institution. It promotes a comprehensive view of the liberal arts with an appropriate balance of knowledge in the humanities, fine arts, mathematics, natural sciences, and social and behavioral sciences. Graduates may major in a variety of fields, may choose to begin a career in business or industry, or may undertake further specialized training.

Associate in Science

This degree program provides a concentration in mathematics and physical and life sciences for university curricula requiring such a background. While this program emphasizes critical analysis and the judgmental skills inherent in the disciplines of science and mathematics, the curriculum also promotes an understanding and appreciation of the arts and humanities.

Transfer of Courses on a Course-by-Course Basis

Upon admission to another public two-year institution or to a public university, a community college student who was enrolled in a community college course and who satisfactorily completed the course with a grade of “C-“ or better in the courses that are designated for college transfer will receive credit for those courses. The receiving institution will determine whether the course will count as general education, major, or elective credit.

The following is a list of the 16 UNC schools that participate in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

University ContactCourse Equivalency Telephone
Appalachian State UniversityASU AdmissionsAppalachian State Equivalencies(828) 262-2120
East Carolina UniversityOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsECU Equivalencies(252) 328-6640
Elizabeth City State UniversityOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsElizabeth City State U Equivalencies(252) 335-3312
Fayetteville State UniversityOffice of AdmissionsFayetteville State Equivalencies(910) 672-1371
North Carolina A&T UniversityOffice of Undergraduate Admissions(336) 334-7946
North Carolina Central UniversityOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsNC Central Equivalencies(919) 530-7347
North Carolina State UniversityOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsNC State Equivalencies(919) 515-2434
University of North Carolina at AshevilleUNC-Asheville Admissions OfficeUNC-Asheville Equivalencies(828) 251-6481
University of North Carolina at Chapel HillOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsUNC-Chapel Hill Equivalencies(919) 966-3984
University of North Carolina at CharlotteAdmissions OfficeUNC-Charlotte Equivalencies(704) 687-2213
University of North Carolina at GreensboroOffice of Undergraduate AdmissionsUNC-Greensboro Equivalencies(336) 334-5243
University of North Carolina at PembrokeAdmissions counselorUNC-Pembroke Equivalencies(800) 949-8627
University of North Carolina at WilmingtonAdmissions OfficeUNC-Wilmington Equivalencies(910) 962-3243
University of North Carolina School of the ArtsAdmissions Office(336) 770-3290
Western Carolina UniversityAdmissions OfficeWestern Carolina Equivalencies(877) 928-4968
NC School of Math and ScienceAdmissions Office(919) 416-2600
Winston Salem State UniversityUndergraduate Admissions Office(336) 750-2257


The following is a list of private universities and colleges in NC that participate in the Articulation Agreement.

Students can research NC colleges and universities online at Click on “College Fair.”

Students can also apply to NC colleges and universities at Click on “Online Applications.”