Roanoke-Chowan Community College is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility for veterans. RCCC coordinates services to veterans, dependents, guardsmen and reservists attending classes and receiving Veterans’ Benefits. We welcome the opportunity to serve you and your families in your pursuit of your educational and career goals.
To receive Veterans Education Benefits at RCCC, you must be admitted as a degree-seeking undergraduate (continuing education courses here are currently not covered) and adhere to the same tuition, attendance and academic policies as other students.
STEP 1: COMPLETE APPLICATION FOR BENEFITS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
Apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for a formal determination of eligibility for GI Bill benefits. This is required of all Veterans and eligible family members and must be done if you believe you are eligible for GI Bill benefits.
You may submit your application on line at the GI Bill website or fill out and submit a hard copy application through our office (the on-line application system is quicker and may be accessed by selecting the “apply online” feature on the GI Bill website).
Please note: It can take up to 12 weeks for the VA to process an initial eligibility determination request and issue your certificate of eligibility. The VA will make no benefit payments until this process is complete.
Use VA Form 22-1990 to apply for:
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30-Prior Active Duty and Chapter 1606-Selected Reserves and National Guard)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Reserve Education Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
Use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for:
- Post 9/11 Transfer of Entitlement (Dependents only)
Use VA Form 22-5490 to apply for:
- Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program-DEA (Chapter 35)
Use VA Form 28-1990 to apply for:
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program Service – VR&E (Chapter 31)
Use the Veterans Opportunity to Work Website or call toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to apply for:
- VRAP (Veterans Retraining Assistant Program)
STEP 2: COMPLETE R-CCC APPLICATION FOR ADMISSIONS
If you have used VA Educational Benefits at another institution, you must complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Program/Place) to the VA, in order to inform them of your changing schools.
Guest Students: If you are planning on just taking a one or two classes for your degree at Roanoke-Chowan while staying enrolled at your regular school, please call our VA Certifying Official after applying and we can walk you through the rest of the process.
STEP 3: SUBMIT ALL OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS TO THE R-CCC ADMISSIONS OFFICE.
Prior to being certified for benefits, you must submit all official transcripts from your High School/High School Equivalency Diploma and from ALL college/universities you’ve attended to the Admissions Office (no exceptions). To check to see if your transcript has been received, you may contact the Admissions Office at 252-862-1200.
STEP 4: REGISTER AND PAY FOR CLASSES.
Once you’ve registered and paid for classes, you need to submit a copy of your schedule to the VA Certifying Official located in the Office of Financial Aid in the Student Services Center, Suite 111-D.
Once this information has been received, the certifying official will submit your enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs. It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your information and for you to receive your first check.
**Students receiving Veterans Affairs benefits must submit a copy of their schedule for each semester they wish to be certified and sign a memorandum of understanding with the School Certifying Official before they can be certified.
STEP 5: VERIFY ENROLLMENT FOR INDIVIDUALS UNDER CH. 30, CH.1606, CH. 1607 AND VRAP.
Prior to receiving your check or direct deposit, you must verify your enrollment at the end of the month on a monthly basis. You should wait until the end of the first month of school to verify your enrollment for the first time.
You can verify your enrollment by one of the following methods:
- Call 1-877 VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify by telephone.
- Web Automated Verification of Enrollment
Important Things to Know About Using Your GI Bill at R-CCC
1. You can only receive VA funds for approved curriculum programs.
2. Most degree programs are approved by VA, but if you’re unsure, contact the VA Certifying Official (VACO). Continuing education courses are not approved by VA.
3. VA will only pay for courses required for your major.
4. This is why it’s important to register/get advice on what to register for from your advisor. VA will not pay for independent study, audited classes, or credit by exam.
5. You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees up front as your enrollment certifications will not be processed by VA until after classes have begun.
6. Unless you have other funds such as financial aid or tuition assistance, we will not be able to hold your schedule or make special arrangements for you. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to cover your tuition, fees, and books each semester.
7. If you change your major, you must notify us and complete a Change of Program form. (See the VACO for more details.)
8. Any change in personal information (address, name, etc.) must be reported to the VACO, if you wish for us to notify VA.
9. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive VA benefits. (See the online Catalog.)
10. It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your schedule– dropping a class, adding a class, withdrawing from a class, etc. Bring copies of the appropriate forms to your Certifying Official to ensure that all payments are correct.
11. If you withdraw from classes or don’t report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe back money to VA.
12. Contact the VA Certifying Official when making changes to your schedule to double check or if you have any questions.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Director of Financial Aid, Veterans Affairs Certifying Official
Student Services Center
Phone: (252) 862-1246
Fax: (252) 862-1355
Office Hours: 8:00a-5:00p M-F
- 2020-21 Unusual Enrollment History
- 2020-21 Dependency Override
- 2020-21 Low Income Verification Form
- 2020-21 Marriage Tax-Filing Mismatch
- 2020-21 Parent Nontax Filer Verification Form
- 2020-21 Signature Page
- 2020-21 Signature Page (2)
- 2020-21 Special Circumstances Request
- 2020-21 Student Nontax Filers Verification Form
- 2020-21 Student Verification of Seperation-Divorced Status Form
- 2020-21 Verification of Bachelor Degree
- 2020-21 Child Support Paid - Dependent
- 2020-21 Child Support Paid - Independent
- 2020 - 21 Household Size - Dependent
- 2020-21 Household Size - Independent
- 2020-21 Parent Verification of Seperation-Divorced Status Form
- 2020-21 PELL LEU Verification
- 2020-21 SAP Appeal Request Form
- 2020-21 Dislocated Worker Verification
- 2020-21 Notary Statement of Educational Purpose
- 2020-21 Parent Tax Filers Verification
- 2020-21 Snap Benefits - Dependent
- 2020-21 Snap Benefits - Independent
- 2020-21 Snap Benefits - Independent (2)
- Dependent Verification worksheet V1
- Dependent Verification worksheet V3
- Dependent Verification worksheet V4
- Dependent Verification worksheet V5
- Dependent Verification worksheet V6
- Independent Verification worksheet V1
- Independent Verification worksheet V3
- Independent Verification worksheet V4
- Independent Verification worksheet V5
- Independent Verification worksheet V6